“Flue protection" One Pot meal!
Although March has arrived, it’s still wintertime and many people have the flue now.
I don’t know how the weather is like with you, but in Belgium it’s still pretty cold, rainy and very uncomfortable. So i think the best thing to do is to cook some winter dishes.
I also like to cook in the kitchen when it’s so dark outside, otherwise i want to go out walking in the sun all the time :)
This week, yesterday in fact i made this winter stew and i must say that it was surprisingly good. I started with a basic recipe i found and then i added some vegetables i though would suit good. It did!
This is not spicy at all, it has a good tomato taste and very light to eat, despite of the beans in it.
It also protects you from becoming weak during the winter months as it contains a lot of vitamins due the winter vegetables. Or even if you are sick, this meal can give you some strength if you are not upto eating much.
The sweet potato gives it a nice fresh taste along with the beans. I would say, perfectly balanced.
Just try and see for yourself.
4 tablespoons of good olive oil
3 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
1 red onion (roughly chopped)
1 parsnip cut in cubes
About 5 big leaves of green cabbage cut in slices
1 can of cannellini beans
1 can of red beans
1 large sweet potato
2 cans of peeled tomatoes
500 ml vegetable stock
Some rosemary, thyme and sage (chopped)
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
50 gr of freshly grated parmesan
1 handful of basil leaves
Some black pepper and Salt to own taste
1. First start to chop all your ingredients. Nothing works better than a good preparation.
Drain the beans, wash under clean water to remove all the excessive water from the can.
TIP : You can chop the green cabbage when the stew is cooking after you added the liquid.
2. When you’ve done that, you can start to heat the olive oil in a big casserole. Add the onion and garlic....make sure it does not get brown. We don’t want burned garlic.
Add the parsnip and sweet potato. Stir well and add the thyme. On a gentle heat....see it all glaze.
3. Then add the peeled tomatoes, squash them a bit, so you don’t have such large pieces. Include the vegetable stock + tomato paste and let it come to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes for the sweet potato to become softer.
4. Then add the Green cabbage and stir well. Let simmer again for about 5 minutes
5. Now add the drained and washed beans. Let simmer again for another 5 minutes.
6. When done, add 3/4 of the freshly grated Parmesan and gently stir, you can still add some pepper and salt to own taste. Smell and enjoy..