Simple and delicious!
If you are a lover of Gnocchi, then you should try to make your own. It tastes so much better and softer to chew than from stores. It’s really not difficult, you just have to have the right ingredients and you can always make your gnocchi in advance and keep fresh in the fridge.
For this recipes i made my own gnocchi and i added a bunch of chopped chive. The herbs are giving it so much more! So, below i will give you the recipe for the homemade Gnocchi too, in case you want to try this out.
The combination of smoked salmon with the green peas and parmesan is just a match made in heaven. This recipes does not ask a lot of ingredients and if you have some time in the weekend...please try it out and see for yourself. The recipe i got from THIS BOOK.
It’s a great book with all kinds of homemade recipes. in case you have time, then this is the perfect book for your full of italian dishes! I see on google you can find it easily second hand :)
INGREDIENTS FOR GNOCCHI
500 gr of soft cooking potatoes
1 egg yolk
3 tbsp of freshly grated parmesan
5 tbsp of fresh herbs (in this case chive)
120 gr to 125 gr of Type OO Flour (Italian flour)
TIP : i noticed with using italian flour type OO, the gnocchi is really gentle to eat.
1. In a bowl add the grated parmesan, chopped chive and use a potato ricer to puree your potatoes. I bought mine HERE and it’s the best one around.
Then add the egg yolk and 120 gr of flour. Gently stir everything together with a wooden spoon first and then continue using your hands. You want a good dough. Just don’t kneed too long, just till it’s all nicely combined. Roll it in a ball. Wrap in cling foil and let rest for about 1/2 hour.
2. After 1/2 hour, remove the foil and divide the ball into 4 pieces. Equally.
Start rolling it in sausages and cut it in pieces of about 1 inch (2,5 cm). You can use it this way or you can even go further and use a fork to make some texture in it. On youtube you can find this great movie on how Gennaro Contaldo makes Gnocchi. That is how i learned. I use a Gnocchi board which you can find HERE.
Remember, making your own Gnocchi is OPTIONAL. You don’t need to do it to make this recipe.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE OVENDISH
200 gr of Gnocchi
3 to 4 slices of smoked salmon
125 ml milk
125 ml low fat cream or sour cream
2 tbsp of grated parmesan
2 tbsp fresh Pesto (i made my own as well)
200 gr of frozen peas
Salt and pepper
1. First make your pesto in case you make your own. Then cook the Gnocchi for a minute or so in some salted water, you will see when it’s ready if they float on the surface. Really don’t wait too long, or they will be too soft. Lay them in the oven dish which has been greased before. Make sure you don’t add any water with it. Or your dish will be too watery.
Pre-heat your oven to 200°C.
2. Set the gnocchi aside and make your pesto cream. Combine the milk with the light cream, parmesan en pesto. season with salt and pepper. Add the frozen green peas and stir gently. Season again with salt and pepper.
3. Add the pesto mixture to the oven dish which has been filled with the gnocchi first. Stir gently in the dish so everything is mixed nicely. On top add pieces of the smoked salmon which you tear apart with your fingers. Also add some chopped chive.
4. Put in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes.
It should be looking like photos below.
I used an Emile Henry Oven Dish.