Colder days, longer nights, time to start making some Stews!
I got this recipe from Delicious Magazine, but i adjusted it a bit to my experiences. I made this dish before as the recipe is in the May issue of 2014.
I hate that summer is gone, but i’m also happy that i can start making some stews and other things like Pies and start using some autumn vegetables.
This stew is very tasty and is super for Vegans as it has no milk, cream, eggs or meat.
I made it yesterday and tonight we can eat more of it. So it’s perfect when you don’t have much time to cook, as you can eat this stew for 2 days or even freez it in for later.
INGREDIENTS serving 4 :
3 tablespoons of Good Olive Oil
1 Onion fine chopped
2 cloves of garlic (also fine chopped)
2 teaspoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon cuminpowder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
180 gr green lentils
50 gr Blonde lentils
680 gr sifted tomatos (Passata)
700 ml vegetable stock
1 big red bell pepper
500 gr sweet potatoes
200 gr normal potatoes
800 gr kidney beans
2 tablespoons hot Chili sauce
3 tablespoons Coriander (freshly chopped)
1. Chop the onion and garlic together. Heat some oil in a deep pan (i use Le Creuset).
Add the onion and garlic, together with the spices and some salt and pepper.
2. Stir about 3 minutes and then add the lentils, sifted tomatoes and bouillon. Bring to boil and then let it cook on low heat for about 20 minutes. Stew needs time, so give it some time. Luckily there is no meat in it, otherwise you need a couple of hours :-)
3. In the meanwhile dice the Red bell pepper in 1 cm cubes, wash your beans, peel the potatoes and dice them in “eatable” pieces. Then i steam the potatoes first before i add it to the stew. Cause i noticed that when i add the potatoes to the stew, it takes more than 20 minutes for them to be soft and i feel they do not really cook in the stew. So, i steam them for about 4 minutes and add them a little bit to the stew for the taste.
4. Then after 20 minutes i add the diced Bell paprika and let it cook for another 5 minutes. Then add the steamed potatoes, washed beans and chili sauce (if you don’t like hot chili, you can also use sweet chili sauce). Stir gently as you don’t want to squash the potatoes. Let it warm up a bit for 5 minutes again on middle heat.
5. At the end turn off the heat and add some salt and pepper again + fresh coriander. Mmmmmm the smell is so good, i tell you!
6. Last, dice up the avocado and serve it separately. When you eat the stew it’s nice to eat some avocado in between, it will take away the sharpness of the stew + avocado is a superfood!